Reinvestment Partners will be offering FREE tax service at Durham's Northgate Mall June 1 - July 10, 2020. Due to social distancing guidelines we will be operating our site as a DROP-OFF site only. Filers may drop off returns Monday - Friday, 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM. Please see these instructions and forms to have your return completed by our volunteers.
For answers to your questions about securing your Economic Impact Payments, use the following resources from the IRS:
- Economic Impact Payments - Information from IRS
- Treasury, IRS launch new tool to help non-filers register for Economic Impact Payments
Every year tax time proves stressful for millions of Americans who can’t afford the high cost of tax preparation and are unable to prepare their own returns.
The Greater Durham TAC Coalition makes a major impact on the need for low-cost, high-quality tax services by preparing and filing thousands of returns at Volunteer Income Taxpayer Assistance (VITA) sites in the Greater Durham area.
Reinvestment Partners will resume its 11th season of free income tax preparation on June 1, 2020. Please see the instructions below to have your return completed by our volunteers. Self-prepared (or FSA) options are also available.
Click for instructions and required forms
(Volunteer Income Taxpayer Assistance)
The VITA Program offers free tax help to low- to moderate-income (generally, $54,000 and below) people who cannot prepare their own tax returns. Certified volunteers sponsored by various organizations receive training to help prepare basic tax returns in communities across the country.
VITA sites are generally located at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls, and other convenient locations. Most locations also offer free electronic filing.
Sponsored by the IRS
How VITA Sites Can Help
- FREE Service – No costly preparation fees or hidden costs
- IRS Certified tax assistants available to help you complete your returns
- Several Locations in Durham with varied schedules for your convenience
- EFile of your tax return upon completion if no precluding paperwork
- Receive your refund in 10-14 days with direct deposit to your account
- Avoid Refund Anticipation Loans robbing $100s from your refund
- Ensure you take advantage of available EITC Credits if qualified
North Carolina Volunteer Income Taxpayer Assistance (VITA) Sites
Watch Our Video
The NC-TAC is a coalition effort between Reinvestment Partners, Duke Law School, NCCU School of Law, and numerous other Community Organizations, City, County and State Agencies dedicated to assisting NC taxpayers in utilizing available tax services in and around Durham.